..Broccoli Cheddar Soup

December 13, 2011


So the freezing cold weather finally showed up at the last minute here in DC.  We've pretty much been sailing through with decent temperatures up until last week.  Who doesn't love a home-cooked bowl of soup after a chilly walk home?  This broccoli cheddar soup is easy (the recipe is slightly adapted from here) and delish.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 chopped onion
2 tablespoons flour
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 cups chicken stock
3/4 lb fresh broccoli, chopped
1 cup carrot, shredded and chopped
1/4 tsp nutmeg
8 ounces grated cheddar cheese (doesn’t matter what kind)
8 ounces grated colby jack cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Baguette (for dipping!) - Optional


Directions

1. Sautee onion and garlic in butter for a few minutes then whisk in flour.  
2. Whisk in milk, half & half, chicken stock until it starts to simmer.
3. Add in the broccoli and carrots to the simmering liquid for about 15-20 minutes (until they are nice and tender).
4. Season up your soup with salt, pepper, and a little nutmeg.
5. Add in your cheeses and stir until they are melted into the soup and let it simmer (another 10 minutes or so) and your soup is ready to serve.  I guess I should note that you don't have to add all the cheese, you can play with the amounts to suit your tastes, I say the cheesier the better!

12 comments

  1. Omg this looks delicious! I've been seeing all these food related items on your blog! I love all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for new soup recipes to deal with this sudden cold. Broccoli and cheddar sounds like the perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love broccoli and cheddar soup - totally craving it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg that looks amazing!

    xoxo,H
    http://givemeglamourplease.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks SO unhealthy that it's amazing. I'm not really a soup-kinda-girl, but I do loooove me some broccoli and cheddar soup. Now I totally want to make some.

    xoxo
    http://www.thewrittenrunway.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. ummm, i want that right now! it looks SO delicious!!!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. omigosh that sounds incredible! i love soups in winter.. been getting in to a lot of pumpkin and mushroom lately! :)

    B xx

    www.phoandchips.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks good, I don't think I've had a decent meal since Finals started!

    I currently have a give-away going on, would love if you can join in on the fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh - Broccoli Cheddar Soup is my favorite!!! I can't wait to try out this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh, yum!! Bookmarking this recipe right now, and I can't wait to make it - it looks absolutely delicious!! Love, love making & eating soup! xo veronika

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good!!

    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. i made this last night, SOOOO GOOD!!! thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my whole day, so go on and make it.

xx E.