..Homemade Doughnuts

September 4, 2012

DSC_3328
Mike and I were in the mood for fresh doughnuts hot off the fryer this weekend, but we don't have a Krispy Kreme drive through in the area so we decided to me our own.  I remembered making sugared doughnuts as a kid with my mom using biscuit dough, so we decided on a very simple recipe using only buttermilk biscuit dough, a beer cap for cutting them into circles, and a quick homemade glaze and chocolate dip.  They were fabulous!  We happened to make so many we were able to give a whole box of leftovers to his parents the next day.

Doughnuts
Heat four cups veggie oil on medium-high heat in a deep skillet/fryer/pot.  Cut holes into all of your biscuits with a beer cap or cookie cutter if you have one and fry each doughnut one side at a time until golden brown (about a minute or so on each side).  Dip in glaze or chocolate immediately and serve hot.  I added sprinkles to the chocolate dipped ones to make them prettier (optional).  You can also make doughnut holes with the leftovers! They were not as pretty but equally delicious.

Chocolate dip (mix all ingredients together until smooth chocolatey consistency forms)
1/2 cup confectioners Sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold milk

Regular Glaze (mix all ingredients together until smooth glaze forms)
1 cup confectioners suger
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup cold milk

DSC_3315
DSC_3318
DSC_3334
DSC_3327
DSC_3332

29 comments

  1. Looks so so yummy! :) I bookmarked the recipe so I can try it next time!

    http://urhappybunnie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, delicious! If only they were gluten free hahaha.

    Ava Tallulah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, those look delicious! Ive seen homemade doughnuts all over, but I have to try it myself. I think I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these look beyond delicious. Wishing I could have some donuts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Those look amazing. Great idea using the beer cap for the holes...I would have to get over my fear of deep frying, not because it's unhealthy--because hot oil scares me haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks absolutely delicious !! You should start a doughnut business! x

    thisishearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade doughnuts! Be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, this looks sooooo good! I think I'm too lazy to actually make my own though :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Win a Mint Green Statement Necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, those look AMAZING!! I am going to have to try these out. My fiance will be thrilled :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look DELISH!!

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh YUM! I wish I was eating those right now.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy mother of god!!! homemade donuts are something i've never attempted because it seemed to daunting, but this looks super easy!!! i will definitely be giving this a whirl!!

    CupcakesOMG!

    ReplyDelete
  13. um WHAT?! You're so good! Those look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, they look way better than the supermarkets! And, it's lower fat than the supermarkets!

    Lauren,
    Fashionswirls.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so impressed!! Did you need a doughnut pan? Or is that just in lieu of the bottle cap whole-maker?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I took a stab at making donuts last year and I was so surprised at how easy they were! I chose a yummy apple cider version that I can't wait to make again...Yours look delicious and exactly like the real deal!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  17. i am in awe of your talents miss! please come cook for me. i need some donuts in my life & a good cook & i think you have both talents! ha :]

    xxA

    ReplyDelete
  18. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm these looks seriously amazing. <3

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my gosh these look AMAZING. Want to ship some to Boston? :)

    On another note, I have a great INPINK giveaway that I think you would love. Check it out when you get a moment xo

    www.LsFashionDish.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my god they look soooooo yummy!!!! and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ummmmm those look amazing! I need to try making my own donuts, although that might end up dangerous! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. these look amazing! i just pinned them and plan to make them this weekend. i love donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Erin...you kill me with your baking skills...these look ahhhhhmazing!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just pinned these to my Sweet Treats board on Pinterest so I remember to make them ASAP!! They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  25. that is so funny because i just posted a doughnut brunch i hosted on the blog! i made mine with a bella mini doughnut maker though!! these look soooo yummy!!! we should swap doughnuts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look soooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just wrote down the recipe- we'll be trying these this week!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my whole day, so go on and make it.

xx E.